Search This Blog

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Top Five Reasons 'The Singularity' Is A Misnomer | h+ Magazine

Top Five Reasons 'The Singularity' Is A Misnomer | h+ Magazine: "I’m sometimes asked my view on the singularity. As the author of More Than Human: Embracing the Promise of Biological Enhancement, and a recipient of the H.G. Wells Award for Contributions to Transhumanism, people assume that I believe in this thing called The Singularity and can’t wait for it to occur.

Actually, I don’t really buy into the concept. I do believe that the coming decades and century are going to see tremendous progress in science and technology. I do think that eventually (if we don’t destroy ourselves first) we’ll be able to upload minds, to create AIs smarter than we are, and to halt, reverse, or at least dramatically reduce human aging.

None of those deserve the term ‘Singularity’, though. And none of them is likely to come as quickly as we hope, or to have impacts quite as broad as the most optimistic assessments project. Indeed, we’re living with the consequences of precursors to all of those phenomena today, and they seem, well, normal."

No comments:

Post a Comment