Search This Blog

Monday, July 25, 2011

Emerging Threats and Challenges, Bible-Style

This is a report from the first annual Future Congress on Emerging Threats and Challenges, held July 22-24, 2011, in Branson, Missouri, which I am attending on behalf of the IEET.

Here is how the event is described by its organizers:

The mission of Future Congress is to serve as an educational source for accurate, comprehensive and Biblically consistent information spanning a wide range of fields and regarding the end times in which we live.

fc

The conference began with a short welcoming speech from the Mayor of Branson, Raeanne Presley, followed by opening remarks from Tom Horn. According to Tom, the event is comprised of the world’s foremost authorities on conference subjects and is intended to serve as a response to questions people have about the issues.

One of the first things I noticed about this event that differs from others I have attended on emerging technologies is that there are children here. While I understand that most of the conferences I attend are academic or professional, and ideological differences aside, it is nice to see parents wanting their children to be exposed to new ideas on emerging technologies.

I look forward to a conference where I can bring my kids to rub elbows and listen to the great minds in person. A big reason I am who I am today is because my mother incorporated me into her exposure to ideas such as these, and this conference is one she definitely would have taken me to as a child.

One of the common themes of the conference is to take complex ideas and make them accessible to everyday people. Another theme is to frame everything within an Evangelical Christian perspective. This theme was most prominent since, throughout the conference, the Bible was the ultimate proof. Physics, biology, politics, non-Christian religions—whatever the topic was, it was ultimately put to the Biblical test. Ironically, where errors in Biblical prophecy are acceptable or overlooked, this same truth does not apply to the scientific world. The scientific burden of proof is much less lenient in the eyes of this community.

Read More: http://ieet.org/index.php/IEET/more/scott20110724

No comments:

Post a Comment